Coronado is an oceanfront resort city located on a peninsula off the coast of San Diego, accessible by the iconic Coronado Bridge. Its relative isolation (there are only two roads into Coronado: via the Coronado bridge in the north and the 75 via Imperial Beach in the south) and high property values makes this 7.4 mile stretch of prime oceanfront real-estate one of the most exclusive residential communities in San Diego. The city is also home to two navy bases and the world famous Hotel Del Coronado.
If you live in Coronado you have one of the finest strips of beach in the country. Recently, The Travel Channel named Coronado beach as the 2nd best beach in the entire country. Officially called the Silver Strand State Beach, it offers miles of uninterrupted pristine white sand beaches to the public.
All types of water sports, swimming, and surfing as well as fishing and sailing are popular here. Coronado boasts 15 miles of jogging and bicycle paths, an 18-hole golf course, many tennis courts, and a municipal pool. There are two community theaters that put on various shows throughout the year and a recently opened skate park.
Coronado is a land apart from the hustle and bustle of mainland San Diego. It still retains that small town charm where neighbors get together and take part in the island’s many outdoor activities and festivals.
Annual Coronado Festivals
- Held every April, the Annual Coronado Flower Show is one of the most popular events on the island showcasing floral arrangements, home front gardens, all kinds of ornamental plants and trees as well as classical floral designs and related handicrafts. The Coronado Flower Show is the largest flower show held under tents in the US and is a local Coronado tradition going all the way back to 1922.
- Coronado’s summer Sunday Concerts-in-the-Park is another homegrown festival that runs from May to September every year. This festival consists of a series of free open-air concerts at Spreckel’s Park.
- Coronado’s Annual 4th of July Celebrations are famous throughout San Diego. The day starts off with a parade at 10:00AM followed by a family fun day at the park and open air-concert before ending with a bang with a spectacular fireworks display over Glorietta Bay.
- The Coronado Sports Fiesta, an annual sports competition held by the local chapter of the Optimist Club, features a variety of events including a 5K run, triathlon and ocean swim. This is held in Sunset Park in Coronado.
|Population (Year 2000):||24,100|
|Estimated population in July 2005:||26,424 (+9.6% change)|
Zip Codes For Coronado: 92118
|Median resident age:||34.2 years|
|Median household income:||$66,544 (year 2000)|
|Median house value:||$683,400 (year 2000)|
Races in Coronado:
- White Non-Hispanic (78.6%)
- Hispanic (9.8%)
- Black (5.1%)
- Other race (3.1%)
- Two or more races (2.6%)
- Filipino (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
- Other Asian (0.5%)